Skip to main content

Family Day

Today, by the grace of God, we actually went out and did something as a family. All five of us. I was trying to make the husband stay home because he's sick but when the boy declared he wanted to come with me and the girls, the husband insisted on coming. 

We went to a local town's sesquicentennial (at their police station location - useless info, I know)  and had a blast froze our asses off. It would have been spectacular had the wind not been blowing like tornado alley. We got to see McGruff the Crime Fighting Dog, a couple of people dressed up as the crash test dummies (not the band, the car accident dummies), tons of police officers (rawr), firefighters and horses. I never see the horses in any action except at these things. They're never chasing a perp down Commerce. I mean come on, what do they do all day?

As we were ready to head home, I managed to misplace the van keys, the winds picked up, then the helicopter (they had it there for a us common folk to gaze at) took off and the kick up wind literally knocked my son over. Of course I didn't see it, I was still frantically searching for keys that didn't seem to exist anymore. Awesome!

I went back to the only place I thought I could have lost them and asked the guys that were cleaning up " Let's just say that I may have lost my keys. If someone found my keys and turned them in, where might they end up? I'm just wondering in case, you know, I lose my keys. At some point. Maybe today. Maybe not." They just laughed (at me? with me?) and said to check inside since, oh I don't know, it's a police station. No luck in there. I searched all over the stroller, dumped the diaper bag out, shushed the cotton candy covered 4 yr old about a dozen times that we're leaving soon. Finally I saw the husband take the boy into a porta potty and figured he would hear his phone in there for sure! So I called him. He answered and I'm pretty sure he was using the facilities as they were intended. I had him look in the green bag full of free loot they were handing out to the kids. Score! We have keys. We can go home!

I needed a nap when we got home but no, there was laundry to do, dinner to slave over in the kitchen go get from the hot deli, sick kids and husband. Like I sad, I need a nap. 

I'm getting my hair done up purty tomorrow. G and her son are coming over! Yay! It's gonna be cut short and I can't wait. Well, I can wait until 9ish when I go pick them up. Right now, I'm gonna see what I can do about this nap thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Get Your Motor Running

Something fabulous happened this week. Glorious even. Spectacular. Heaven Sent. (ok that one may be stretching it a bit). I am no longer a stay at home mom with the potential to go crazy because I can't get out of the house with the kids until the husband comes home from work and that could be 1pm or 6pm, it's a crapshoot. My husband has to drive all over the Twin Cities and the surrounding areas to see his customers for work. We have a gas guzzling Explorer that I love (minus the whole gas guzzling part of course). He's put a couple thousand (maybe three or four) on that thing since starting his job in Nov. I was griping to my therapist about how I feel trapped at home. I'm not me anymore. I don't know what I like anymore if it doesn't involve one of the kids. I hated that this was happening. Wow, I sure do go on tangents. (My ex once told me that he has to run mentally to keep up with me conversationally. So true) Last week, we up and got ourselves this bad b