Skip to main content

Well What Do We Have Here?

A fresh, new post? Say it ain't so!

It's apparent to me that a toe injury can really screw you up. We've lived with my inlaws for 2.5 years and I have never tripped while in the basement doing laundry. Sure I've cracked my noggin on the air vent that hangs low. Damn does that hurt. My feet have done me no wrong in the basement. The stairs all over the house? They have failed me miserably. Several times.

A couple weeks ago, I'm bringing clothes upstairs to get ready for work and my foot decided to meet this pipe that sticks out of the floor. I've got no idea what said pipe is for, I just know that I had no problem with it until that night. I hit that damn thing, went forward, collapsible cow hamper not really breaking the fall. My arm hit the door and I thought I heard glass break. Fabulous. No, the broom hit the door. I guess I screamed because Fluffy came running down the stairs with the baby to see what happened. I managed to crawl to the steps and promptly died.

When I came out of the wailing, panting, sobbing mess I assessed the damage. Right away we knew it wasn't going to be pretty. There was a little bit of blood but all in all the swelling was the worst of it. Oh and the throbbing. Sweet fanny francis does that hurt. I taped my toes together, threw on my hard soled house shoes and went to work. Yes. I went to work. Turns out you can't drive the normal way when you break your toe on the gas pedal foot. I don't think I've ever driven with the side of my foot before. Trying new things, it's what I do.

I limped and gimped the whole 4 hours at work praying that every time a cashier needed me it wouldn't be for something stupid. I almost ripped the pager off one cashier's lane because he's a freaking moron and kept calling me over to the register for asinine things. Where's this coupon? What should I do if they don't want this? REALLY?? He's been at this store for FOUR YEARS! I finally told him that if asked me one more ridiculous question, I was going to hurt him and hide his body. Trust.

I had 15 minutes to go on my shift and the husband calls seeing if I can get done early. :::blink::: Um, how early would you like dear? I'm done in 15 minutes. He put Peanut on the phone yet I could have sworn we got a pet seal that no one told me about. Guh-rate. Got the money all put away and headed home.

As I pulled in, he comes out with her in her jammies. I go in to get her blanket (hello) and sit in the back with her on the way to the ER. She has no voice. Says it's in the back of her head by her neck. Um, ok. Sure enough, croup. Twice in 6 months. I don't like croup. She doesn't like croup. The husband doesn't like croup. Why does it like my little girl? At least this time she was still barking when we got there. She got a nebulizer treatment and you would have thought you gave her candy. She loved that thing. Once she as good as new, she got her balloons (two because the nurses were oohing and ahhing over how precocious she is) and we went back home.

I was thinking of doing a two-fer and having them look at my toe but quickly realized that wouldn't bode well. They would just charge me an outrageous bill to say "Yep, it's probably broken but all we can do really is tape it up. That's going to be $764.39 please." No thanks, my $2.69 medical tape at home will do. I did go to the doc a week later and have him look at the swelling and he declared it to be normal. I asked about ibuprofen versus Tylenol because it hurt after my shifts and I got me some vicodin. Sweet.

Fast forward to today. Croup free and the toenail came off. Ok I'm not gonna lie. I was having fun grossing out my son by pulling the toenail up so he could see underneath. He would screech, cover his eyes then tell me to do it again. My little girl just wanted to stare at it and say "Cool Mama". I'm fairly certain that when I hit my toe, the nail immediately separated from the toe thus, no black nail. Yay, cause that would have grossed me out.

Comments

Mandy said…
hmm... i wonder which cashier you speak of that asks stupid questions... bahaha

and i'm pretty sure i almost threw up when you spoke of 'lifting up your nail' in this post. thank you. you know how much i LOVE stories with graphic details like that. ish ish ish ish

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Trish Needs.......

I did this cause of Suzi, whose page I read religiously - check her out here . I'm going with the top 30 Google responses to "Trish needs" because SO many of them are related to wrestling of which I am a fan but not capable of doing without killing myself and/or the other person (unless it's the husband in bed but we won't go there. No. We won't. His sister reads this! Hi Steph!) I've decided to add commentary where I feel it's needed because, well, because I can. 1. Trish needs to always be in control of the situation and her men (amen to that my friends) 2. Trish needs to get this card off as soon as possible 3. Trish needs to do some serious damage control 4. Trish needs your help (help packing, help mentally, help with laundry, help with Monkey Boy, etc) 5. Trish needs to come to OPS and talk to all counselors & supervisors 6. Trish needs a makeover ( I don't think it's THAT bad!) 7. Trish needs an intervention (I do not have an Oreo pr