Skip to main content

I Only Miss Parts Of It




High school.

Yikes.

I miss little parts of it. Some of the friends I had. Some of the boys I liked. A couple teachers. Mostly I didn't like it but I can live with that. In hindsight? Not as bad as I thought it was. I'm still friends with a couple people from my old high school in Chicago but for the most part, I don't know what's up with anyone.

Well, until now that is. Thank you Facebook. Facebook that's free. Classmates.com, that charges a yearly fee for pretty much the same service, doesn't give me what Facebook does.

I've "found" several people that I went to school with and holy shit, have some of them changed so much. I almost didn't recognize a couple of them. Some are pretty much the same, not a bad thing really.

It used to be I had mainly kids that I work with on there. Now? I have quite the spread of friends. I feel weird calling them all friends though. I saw somewhere, like at an amusement park or county fair, in one of those astrology machines (see what celebrity was born on your birthday things - Andre 3000 for me) that Geminis (that's me!) know more people than make up the state of Texas but have very few friends.

From their lips to God's ears. Holy truthness Batman. I know a buttload of people but I can probably count on one hand how many people I trust (outside of family). Is that weird or is it human nature? I love meeting new people and I get along with pretty much anyone. If I don't like you, you know it. I was going to say if I don't like you, I don't talk to you but since I'm really bad at emailing people back about, oh, anything, that wouldn't accurate right? Right.

I guess I just like knowing about people. I like seeing how people have changed, or not. What their lives are like now. I'm a nosey broad, that's what it is. Dammit. They were right all along.

I've been reflecting back on high school a lot lately and really, I'm not sure why. Sometimes my mind wanders out of the park in my head and goes astray. Today I found myself pouring over old yearbooks. Looking at what people wrote. Wondering where some people are now*. People, that no matter where I look or what search engine I use, I cannot locate to save my life. I am so curious to see if life went according to plans. Is it better or worse? I can say mine went pretty much the route I knew it would. I'm a stay at home mom who's lucky enough to be able to do it and I have a part time gig that allows for "me without a kid on my leg" time. Well, a kid that's 6 or younger. Those pesky 17 year olds at work. Sheesh.

What about you? Do you look for certain people online? Are you looking to reconnect or just to see what's up? And does anyone know where that Phil kid is that I dated in for a bit in 89? I'm dying to see where he is now. Talk to me.....


edited: holy shnikey, my algebra teacher is still at my school! 21 years later! Gah!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I feel the same way. Nosey LOL. What was Phil's last name? Facebook and Burger king had this thing where you would get a free whopper if you dropped 10 friends on Facebook. Nice to know that you were dropped for 1/10 the price of a burger, but over 200,000 people were dropped. I think I need to go in and clean house as well...I think I added folks to see thier pages, and well, now that I have, I am quite happy dropping them...is THAT wrong?
Mama said…
Phil's last name is Desfosses. OMG we all looked like goobers back in the day! Now I'm going to have to waste some time on Facebook this morning. Awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Trish Needs.......

I did this cause of Suzi, whose page I read religiously - check her out here . I'm going with the top 30 Google responses to "Trish needs" because SO many of them are related to wrestling of which I am a fan but not capable of doing without killing myself and/or the other person (unless it's the husband in bed but we won't go there. No. We won't. His sister reads this! Hi Steph!) I've decided to add commentary where I feel it's needed because, well, because I can. 1. Trish needs to always be in control of the situation and her men (amen to that my friends) 2. Trish needs to get this card off as soon as possible 3. Trish needs to do some serious damage control 4. Trish needs your help (help packing, help mentally, help with laundry, help with Monkey Boy, etc) 5. Trish needs to come to OPS and talk to all counselors & supervisors 6. Trish needs a makeover ( I don't think it's THAT bad!) 7. Trish needs an intervention (I do not have an Oreo pr