Skip to main content

And So It Begins

NaBloPoMo, oh how I've missed you.

What better way to start off this glorious month than with H1N1?! Exciting yes? Not particularly unless you're into seeing your six year old son hallucinate and yell in the middle of the night that he doesn't want the cockroach smooshed. Have you ever seen a boy that age try to function on about 7 hours of sleep in a two day period? Not pretty.

He missed out on his Halloween Fall Party at school on Friday and that made me sad. He was so looking forward to showing his schoolmates his costume (Spiderman, duh). I got the call right after lunch that he had a fever of 101.7 and went to get him. He cried on the way home when he realized what he would be missing that afternoon. I cried for him too.

That night was not good to him. He was coughing all night long. He cried about the cockroaches (really, we have none. Box elder bugs? Sure, you bet. See the 46 of them in the dustbuster, cockroaches in our house? no). He was burning up. No matter what I did, his temp never came under 102.

Saturday morning he was saying his brain felt like it was going to burst. Headache? Check. His temperature was 103.1 and when he begged me to take him to the doctor? I knew it was time to go in. This boy will fight the doctor if he feels he isn't "sick enough" to go. When he begs, it's serious. Last year around this time, he got that nasty rotovirus that went around wreaking havoc and causing extra loads of laundry to be done and buckets to be carried about. He lost eight pounds and was knocked out for ten days. Eight pounds lost on a (then) 5 3/4 yr old is some scary stuff. If the rotovirus did that to him, what the hell is going to happen this time?

The doctor took one look at him and declared it official. The fever, the coughing, the excruciating aches, the nose that couldn't stop running even with a tissue crammed in there? I've never seen a script written out so fast before in my life. When I mentioned that we have a 6 mos old (!)with congenital CMV at home and we were concerned about her exposure, he said she needed to come in immediately and get the shot.

Here's where things got fuzzy for me. Doc said to take the boy home (with a Tamiflu* script) and bring the girls in. The baby would get the H1N1 shot and the four year old would get the nasal mist. I take the boy home, load the girls up and head back. When we saw the doc again, he decided to put the girls on Tamiflu as a precaution (1xday for 10 days with them, 2xday for 5 days for the boy). Then we were sent on our way. It wasn't until I got home that I realized um, what about the shot? The spray?

Now I don't know if I should even bother with the shot? I know we aren't doing the spray for the girl because it's a live dose of the virus and no thank you, we don't need that. I don't care what anyone says.

So, here we are. November 2009. NaBloPoMo? Welcome back!

*I always, and I mean always, type Tamifly. Always.

Comments

radishly said…
ah hello nabopomo'er! i hope your boy gets better in no time. we'll be skipping that spray in our house as well.

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Trish Needs.......

I did this cause of Suzi, whose page I read religiously - check her out here . I'm going with the top 30 Google responses to "Trish needs" because SO many of them are related to wrestling of which I am a fan but not capable of doing without killing myself and/or the other person (unless it's the husband in bed but we won't go there. No. We won't. His sister reads this! Hi Steph!) I've decided to add commentary where I feel it's needed because, well, because I can. 1. Trish needs to always be in control of the situation and her men (amen to that my friends) 2. Trish needs to get this card off as soon as possible 3. Trish needs to do some serious damage control 4. Trish needs your help (help packing, help mentally, help with laundry, help with Monkey Boy, etc) 5. Trish needs to come to OPS and talk to all counselors & supervisors 6. Trish needs a makeover ( I don't think it's THAT bad!) 7. Trish needs an intervention (I do not have an Oreo pr