Skip to main content

I've Changed My Pants, No Need To Worry Folks

So.

We're at the cabin. The trip up was relatively quiet and that alone, given the children we have, was miraculous. We got everything unloaded, sorted and put in it's proper place. DVD players were set up, places to color and make Bendaroo creations (thank you whomever invented those! My children were silent for ten whole minutes making things*). Ya know, we got our poop in a group.

The rules were laid out: You are not allowed to open any of the doors to the cabin without Mommy or Daddy with you. You could get lost in the woods, fall in the lake, general Mama paranoia passed along to the kidlets. We also told them that they are still not allowed to hit each other or make each other scream. People who do not have more than one child are amazed at just how quickly the noise level can rise to DefCon 8. Scary. This being said, the children love the three season room off of the living room. March of last year was the last time we were here and that room was fah-reezing cold. They didn't like it so much. This year though, it's perfect in there. They were told that if they felt the need to chase each other, scream, yell, anything really that would make Mama not happy, do it in that room. And shut the double paned glass door. kthxbai.

They were pretty good at this and were having a grand ol' time generally beating the tar out of each other and giggling and screeching along the way. They came out of the room a few times and when they reached that level of headache inducing noise, they were shooed out to the "loud room". I called my dad to give him a little grief for the Packers losing (again!) and, of course, talk about the kids. As I'm sitting there at the table talking on the phone, I hear this squeaking noise and I'm all "What the hell is that noise?" Naturally, I assume it's one of my kids and since I could see the boy, I figured it was the red headed dictator. I turn around in my chair to tell her to knock it off and go in the other room because hello? I can't hear myself or Papa. I look down on the floor and I'll be damned, I screamed.

A bat.

A mother trucking chicken plucking bat was laying, sprawled out perfectly, on the hardwood hallway floor. Squeaking away. I promptly lost my shit. I tell my dad I'll call him back. I realize fully that this is indeed a real live gonna get me and give me rabies bat. I screamed, that made the dictator scream (Wow, never heard her get that loud before) and I have peed myself. I'm not going to lie to you internet. Things like this happen after three children. The kids immediately think they are going to die (from the bat, not me peeing myself though they do find it hilarious and I'm sure will share the story with any and all strangers - you're welcome). The husband is the only calm one, claiming it's a fake bat from someone who stayed here before. I called bullshit. I found the broom (smallest one I've ever seen for a cabin that sleeps 15 people, two baths and a bajillion rooms). I shooed the screamers to the loud room and calmed myself down.

The husband broomed (is that a verb? should be) the bat, it tried like hell to get out from under the broom, I screamed again (I'm good at that when it's not needed). He scooped it into the dustpan and went out the front door with it. The kids came in when they saw it was clear and we watched Daddy let the bat go on the front walk, about ten feet from the front door. I would have preferred farther away, like the next town over but whatevs.

As the husband takes the broom off, he shimmies the bat off the dustpan. It starts to flap it's wings (another screech not needed here? sorry, too late!) and he starts backing up quickly. I'm laughing now and the kids are wondering where the hell the bat is. It was dusk so it was hard to see it but it got a couple feet in the air, then landed in the grass and leaves. I don't know if it flew away later, I guess we'll see in the morning. Blech.

We come back in and the kids want to see the photos I took of it (not good quality, the flash is still broken on my precious camera, boo) and all of a sudden my son says, "What's THAT?" Oh hell naw, it better not be another bat 'cause I will lose my ever loving mind and sleep in the van for the next week. No bat, BUT? Our visitor left a gift.

Bat poo.

It was so tiny and yet the boy covered his nose as if it stank. Weirdo.

So yeah. Bats? Not my favorite right now (though to be clear, I don't think they ever will be. Sorry little guys)

*after that glorious ten minutes, all hell broke loose when the 200 Bendaroos (they come 100 to a box) the boy had were clearly not enough, in his brain, so he tried to "borrow" some of his sister's. You can imagine how that turned out. Loud room!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Trish Needs.......

I did this cause of Suzi, whose page I read religiously - check her out here . I'm going with the top 30 Google responses to "Trish needs" because SO many of them are related to wrestling of which I am a fan but not capable of doing without killing myself and/or the other person (unless it's the husband in bed but we won't go there. No. We won't. His sister reads this! Hi Steph!) I've decided to add commentary where I feel it's needed because, well, because I can. 1. Trish needs to always be in control of the situation and her men (amen to that my friends) 2. Trish needs to get this card off as soon as possible 3. Trish needs to do some serious damage control 4. Trish needs your help (help packing, help mentally, help with laundry, help with Monkey Boy, etc) 5. Trish needs to come to OPS and talk to all counselors & supervisors 6. Trish needs a makeover ( I don't think it's THAT bad!) 7. Trish needs an intervention (I do not have an Oreo pr