Skip to main content

This Mama Bear Is Preparing For Battle

A month or so ago, the boy was suspended from riding the van for being annoying (wtf?) and for throwing his sweatshirt at one of the two other kids on the van. Mainly for being annoying. Also because the van driver claims he almost ran off the road because of the boy. Doubtful and I tell you this because I've driven this child in a van during an all out fight with his sister and I'm here to say, I did not run the vehicle off the road. I pulled over when I could and let loose threats and promises and curses on Ouji boards and all that good stuff but when all was said and done, the van was still on concrete. SO.

I get this report (and two other reports that were never brought to my attention) and have a discussion with the director of special education regarding having a para on the van. He had one last year at his main stream school for the bus and I felt he would benefit from it this year. He was denied one the end of last year and that was an epic fail. Well, lo and behold my friends, he got one when I bitched loud enough about it. Things are going great. No complaints about his behavior, no fighting, no swearing, yelling, spitting, hitting, throwing of clothes, etc. Phenomenal changes for the better.

Then the van driver tells the school a couple weeks ago that maybe we can stop having the para on the van because things are going so well.

::blink::

Point to the one: Um no. The para stays thankyouverymuch. I fought long and hard to have her on there and I will be damned if that goes down the shitter.

Point to the two: Serrrsly? I don't know now that I want this person driving my son to school 20 minutes away. His judgement calls, writing my son up for being annoying (again, wtf?), not wanting the para on there? All of that makes me question how qualified he his to be responsible for special needs children.

Point to the three: Things are going well, awesome and great on the van because of the para. Because she is doing her job. Because she keeps the boys separated and happy and not fighting. Because she is Super Woman!

Point to the four: I don't have one. I just wanted to type it out again.

We have a conference tomorrow morning at school and it's a big one. We'll be reviewing and updating his IEP. Going over different social services that he is now qualified for through the school. We find out when we get a social worker for him ( hopefully soon, we've only been trying for over two years to get one). I hope they set aside a big room for us because it seems half the school will be there: us, his teacher, his two paras from school, the school psychologist, school social worker, director of special education for the district (though I did not see her name, just her office, listed on the attendees), the director of the school's special education plus two or three other people.

They were not kidding when they said it takes a village.

I'm preparing myself to be confrontational about things. I can't be Minnesota passive aggressive when it comes to my son. He's my boy. My baby. My love and my life ( I know, I almost gagged too - shush ) I want what's best for him. I fought to get the para on the van and believe me, she's staying. I fought to get him the staff and education he deserves and has a right to. That will continue to happen. I keep on top of things with his teacher. We talk every day about how he was in class. She knows how I feel about things and what my expectations are of this school and my son. We are on the same page and it's extremely comforting to know that my son is loved and cared for so much at school. It's comforting to know that his staff is there for him 100% and will do whatever it takes to help him succeed. I just can't let anyone walk all over us and talk down to us about our child and his rights.

This mama bear will tear a fool apart that tries anything shady or shifty. I'm just putting that out there.

kthanxbai

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Get Your Motor Running

Something fabulous happened this week. Glorious even. Spectacular. Heaven Sent. (ok that one may be stretching it a bit). I am no longer a stay at home mom with the potential to go crazy because I can't get out of the house with the kids until the husband comes home from work and that could be 1pm or 6pm, it's a crapshoot. My husband has to drive all over the Twin Cities and the surrounding areas to see his customers for work. We have a gas guzzling Explorer that I love (minus the whole gas guzzling part of course). He's put a couple thousand (maybe three or four) on that thing since starting his job in Nov. I was griping to my therapist about how I feel trapped at home. I'm not me anymore. I don't know what I like anymore if it doesn't involve one of the kids. I hated that this was happening. Wow, I sure do go on tangents. (My ex once told me that he has to run mentally to keep up with me conversationally. So true) Last week, we up and got ourselves this bad b