Skip to main content

Make It Work

We survived the weekend! Woot!

Making family time is important. How do you balance your children, relationship, and work life? 


How does anyone balance it all? No one's perfect. No one can do it just right. Different things work for different people. If I'm to be totally honest, my kids are first then work and then my relationship.

We are blessed in that I can stay home with Celia during the day and when Kirk gets home from work, I can go to work. I try to have dinner ready and the kids at least eating by the time he comes home. I'm not the best at keeping house. I'm always rushing to do laundry when Donovan runs out of underwear or Sophia runs out of socks. It's hard to make the time to spend with my husband but we do. How does it all break down in our house? Like so:

Having an ASD child is so time consuming with the therapy, medication management appointments and making sure he's doing well in school. When he's home, it's a crapshoot on which kid I get. Do I get my sweet, loving snuggler or do I get the child I can't please no matter what I do? I wish my Magic 8 Ball was more accurate in these things.

Sophia's in therapy too and may soon be in a group therapy setting for kids with siblings on the spectrum. She  is the middle child and I feel she gets lost in the shuffle sometimes. She acts out when she's not getting the attention. I know it's normal for her age and birth order. It's still exhausting ya know?

Celia? Oh that devious, charming 2yo of mine. Being that age means a nap is required for Mama. She has her pre-pre-school class, her physical therapy and just being 2. Throw her hearing issues in there and well. Kids. Top priority.

Work comes second mainly for the money it brings. It's not a lot but it pays for the groceries every week. The  irony of working at a grocery store and spending my paycheck at said grocery store is not lost on me one bit. My job is also my escape from my kids. We all feel this way about our kids sometimes. You know it, I know it. I need my time for me and yes, being at work is just what I need. I have my regular customers that I love and hold dear to my heart. I truly enjoy a large portion of the people that I work with. If I have more than two days off in a row, I feel like I'm wasting time. I need to be doing something.

And now, my husband and I. We do the best that we can. We would love nothing more than to go out with the kids to the zoo, the aquarium, the movies, etc.  We choose not to. We don't make excuses about it. We lay it out there: Is the potential joy from this outing going to significantly outweigh the meltdowns, eloping, inappropriate behavior? Most times the answer is no. I won't lie - I don't like going out in public with my son most times. The first five, maybe ten, minutes of an excursion are fine. When you get farther along, things fall apart. No amount of preparation helps. We can tell him, down to the minute, what we will be doing and it will *not* happen that way.

Yes, we take the easy way out. We stay home with the kids. Sometimes Kirk will take Donovan to a movie that they both want to see. A lot of times, I take the girls with me when I run errands. Sometimes I take just Sophia. All three? Rarely.

All of that being said, the husband and I do make a point to spend time together. We have our Sunday evenings together. Sure, we watch a couple tv shows but we're there. Next to each other. We text a lot during the day and have a lot of lunch dates. We know when we need more than that time together and we do what it takes to make that time.

Long story short, I don't know how to balance kids, work and the marriage. We do what needs to be done. We respect each other. We talk to each other. We challenge each other.

We *make* it work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Get Your Motor Running

Something fabulous happened this week. Glorious even. Spectacular. Heaven Sent. (ok that one may be stretching it a bit). I am no longer a stay at home mom with the potential to go crazy because I can't get out of the house with the kids until the husband comes home from work and that could be 1pm or 6pm, it's a crapshoot. My husband has to drive all over the Twin Cities and the surrounding areas to see his customers for work. We have a gas guzzling Explorer that I love (minus the whole gas guzzling part of course). He's put a couple thousand (maybe three or four) on that thing since starting his job in Nov. I was griping to my therapist about how I feel trapped at home. I'm not me anymore. I don't know what I like anymore if it doesn't involve one of the kids. I hated that this was happening. Wow, I sure do go on tangents. (My ex once told me that he has to run mentally to keep up with me conversationally. So true) Last week, we up and got ourselves this bad b