Skip to main content

Where Did I Put That Pen??

So far, so good. Granted it's only Day 4. Don't judge. As you were.......

When you are writing, do you prefer to use a pen or a computer?


I will write with a pen for hours if I have the correct pen. The choice of pen is crucial. You may laugh but it's true. And you KNOW IT! Ok, maybe it is just me but I think the pen you use will determine your handwriting. If I use a straight up regular Bic pen on spiral notebook paper (still in book), my handwriting is awesome. Love it, can't go wrong. Ball point fancy shmancy pens? I have to concentrate on my writing so that it's legible. I will often resort to writing in print, not my beloved cursive. (Side note: Why don't they teach cursive anymore?)

Now if you give me a chunky, bulky pen from some drug company?? Oh mylanta. I can go to town on those bad boys. Not like that, good gravy. I love when someone at the doctor's office says I can have a pen. I get all giggly and excited. Really people, these pens are awesome. Not all of them of course but the majority of them are just perfect for writing long letters or journal writing.

My favorite time of the year for shopping is Back To School. The office supplies. Pens! Notebooks! Markers! Sharpies! Oh em gee. I salivate looking at the Office Depot, Office Max, Office Treehouse, etc Ads. The things I would get if I had a bottomless checking account. I would need another room in my house just for office supplies. That's how much I love them.

I find that I am more creative when I write something on paper versus the computer. I take the time to make sure the spelling is correct, sentence structure is right, if I mess up one thing, I have to start that page all over. OCD, perfectionist, being anal? Who knows.

When I write on the computer, and I do that more these days, it takes me forever to collect my thoughts and get them out in a comprehensible fashion. One of the main reasons I attempt NaBloPoMo every year is the hope that I'll actually improve my writing. I don't have the confidence that I see in other writers. Honestly, I don't think I will. I'm ok with that. I know I have a handful of readers and that's ok with me. I think they all know me in real life so they know *me*. I don't put on a show, I know who I am. Sometimes I hold back when I want to be snarky. Sometimes I say too much. Either way, it's harder for me to write on here. Hopefully it will change at some point.

I love writing with a pen and paper though. I'll keep Bic and Mead in business, now worries there!n

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Has To Be Said

I haven't blogged in 8 months. We bought a house, still unpacking, school started. You know, life. I felt the need, the urgent need to blog about the Adrian Peterson situation today. I am full of all sorts of feelings and had to write about it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing. No really, I would. I don't feel I was a douchebag in my writing so all I ask is you not be a douchebag in your response. Thanks. My thoughts on the Adrian Peterson situation (but first, some backstory): I was spanked as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us that grew up in the 80s were. Until the summer between 5th and 6th grade I lived in Charelston, SC and from 6th to 11th grade, North Chicaco, IL. I have seen every form of discipline doled out on a child. I've seen spankings, beatings, hairbrushes smacked into heads, spoons hitting the tops of heads, whips, belts and even switches. I've seen it all. Most of you know that my son is named after a little boy who

This, That and The Other

I can already tell that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to suck ass even more than it normally would at my job. Last night, a guy was telling me how much he gave me, how much he was supposed to get back and THEN told me what order to give it back to him in. Um? Sir? I'm not a twit, ok, I am a twit, but I'm not an idiot. Ok, sometimes I can be. Like that time I moved up to Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard from nice, warm Tucson, AZ for a dumb boy and we broke up less than two months later. Yeah that sucked but my point is: I've been in retail, just about every job one could have except store manager, for about oh, 19 years. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to giving change back. Don't talk to me like I'm a 16 yr old kid who's working his first job and doesn't give a shit what kind of work ethic he has. I care about you as a customer but when you're a dick to me and pissing off everyone in my line so they are dicks to me ? Well,

Get Your Motor Running

Something fabulous happened this week. Glorious even. Spectacular. Heaven Sent. (ok that one may be stretching it a bit). I am no longer a stay at home mom with the potential to go crazy because I can't get out of the house with the kids until the husband comes home from work and that could be 1pm or 6pm, it's a crapshoot. My husband has to drive all over the Twin Cities and the surrounding areas to see his customers for work. We have a gas guzzling Explorer that I love (minus the whole gas guzzling part of course). He's put a couple thousand (maybe three or four) on that thing since starting his job in Nov. I was griping to my therapist about how I feel trapped at home. I'm not me anymore. I don't know what I like anymore if it doesn't involve one of the kids. I hated that this was happening. Wow, I sure do go on tangents. (My ex once told me that he has to run mentally to keep up with me conversationally. So true) Last week, we up and got ourselves this bad b